Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sick Leave Reflections

*
Your editor has been sidelined by a quite nasty strain of either food poisoning or a stomach virus since Saturday, finally reaching that point which is best described as "over the worst of it, but not yet out of the woods." This accounts for the recent lack of blogging content, and my thanks to ehvogel and Warner Todd Huston for their timely contributions when it was all I could do to force myself to sit down at the keyboard, manage comments, and post Day by Day and Quote of the Day (even if they were published a bit later than is the norm here).

There's only one silver lining around the cloud of being ill, and that is having plenty of time to think about things. And one of the concerns which has been on my mind during these sick days is this blog, it's reason for being and what the future might hold for it. One of the comments I read was a slam at me from someone who was very unhappy with my choice of placement for the ad trumpeting the September 14 appearance by Gov. Palin at Baylor's Ferrell Center. The angry commenter demanded to know why I "insisted on" putting the ad way down at the bottom of the page where the fewest number of our readers would ever see it (you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page).

Your editor does not suffer fools gladly, even when I'm feeling at the top of my game. You can only imagine my thoughts in the midst of the misery of such illness as I've been fighting. I deleted the comment and turned off the computer. I had neither the mood nor the inclination to explain at the time the circumstances around that ad, and indeed all ads for events where the governor appears. We don't get paid for running those ads. As far as we know, we're the only blog that does this. We do so as a service to our readers and to help Gov. Palin, the latter being the entire reasoning behind this blog. Believe me, we ain't in it for the money. We have a store which sells very few items, and a tip jar which very rarely sees any tips. This blog is not only a non-profit proposition, it drives us deeper into the financial hole every month. We have spent time blogging for Gov. Palin here that could have been spent finding a paying job which would allow us to at least break even. But the choice to do this was our alone, and we blame no one but ourselves. The one thing which has kept us going has been the positive feedback from our readers. Knowing that we were making a difference for the better, at least to some out there, has made it all worth it. However, we are having to reevaluate whether we can keep going under our present circumstances, and we will have more to say about that in a later posting.

For the record, that Care Net of Central Texas ad is placed at the bottom of the page because we don't know what else to do with it. We scaled it down to a 300-px width which would make it fit in our sidebar, but that makes all the text in the ad too small to read. Needless to say, we don't have sophisticated graphic editing software, nor the time to spend playing with an ad that we are running for free. We had the same problem with the ad for Gov. Palin's appearance in Dallas a few months back, and we also put it at the bottom of the page. As the date for that event grew nearer, we put it at the top of the page and gave it some extra coverage. We had planned to do the same with the Care Net ad.

But here's the rub: Like many other mom and pop bloggers, we bust our butts blogging for Sarah Palin, and we don't respond kindly to self-righteous jerks who tell us that no matter how much we do for Gov. Plain, it's not enough. Especially when it comes to running ads for free. In our view, that's more than just a little over the top.

More to come...

- JP

15 comments:

  1. Josh - I am VERY concerned that one IDIOT could have such a negative effect upon my MAJOR source for news and fair comment about Sarah Palin. My only income is SSA, while still being the primary caregiver for my 97 year old ex-mother-in-law, the grandmother of my kids, so, my limited "resources" are very stretched. Your blog is my window to the REAL world of politics in our society. It is the most complete and in present-time of all. Yes, I do peruse some others, but no other comes to the quality level yours does. I looked at the "Tip Jar" but didn't recognize "Ghost writer" - is that you? If so, I'll put something in the jar. Even if it's "too late", I will contribute inasmuch as you have contributed so much to me and I "owe ya"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your illness.....I missed your posts.....get well soon....chicken soup is as good for the body as it is for the soul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get Well Josh .... we all missed haveing you here....

    God Bless..... and Take Care

    sarah 2012

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh,
    I do not comment here that much. However, I really frequent this site. I want to let you know that you do a superb job here. In fact, you give many Pro-Palin sites a run for their money, even though you get paid nothing for your work, but you understand the concept. LOL. I do not know what the aforementioned Commentor exactly stated. However, one thing that I have learned is that you are not going to please all the people all the time, including Sarah admirers. You are going to find one bad apple in the bunch. However, do not allow it to spoil the whole bunch though. The commenter, from what I read from you, went a little over his/her head, and I am sorry to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Cont.)
    Josh, I want to end by stating that this is your OWN web-site, and no one elses. I appreciate your thoughts on things. You can only do what you feel is right for this site. Although it might be helpful to be open to suggestions from other people, do not take it personally if some "know-it-all" tells you how to run your site. If you try to please everyone, then things will not get done. However, if you end of losing heart for blogging, then I cannot really blame you here either. Regardless, thanks for all you do.
    Hefmier
    (The Palination)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your illness, JP. That could not make you a happy camper under any circumstance. Let me just say.. I feel your pain! ; )

    But seriously, this site quickly became one of my most frequented sites and one of the most important Palin sites that I visit. Second only to C4P.

    You have done (and continue to do) an absolutely incredible job covering the Palin universe. I am constantly amazed by your work. I honestly don't know how you do it all and still maintain such high quality. You are an invaluable news resource for me. Thank you so much!

    I surely cannot speak on behalf of Governor Palin, but I do not doubt that she is immensely grateful for your dedication to her and her (our) cause of 'righting this great ship' called the U.S. of A.

    Be well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear. Get well soon. You are not appreciated enough but we follow you regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your site and would not know what to do if it was not here to help promote Sarah and her agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh, all I can say to the above is "ditto". I don't have the time to contribute more than a post a week or so, but I do so because I believe in your work and I am honored to be a contributor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nil illegitimi carborundum, Josh.

    "You have done (and continue to do) an absolutely incredible job covering the Palin universe. I am constantly amazed by your work. I honestly don't know how you do it all and still maintain such high quality. You are an invaluable news resource for me. Thank you so much!"

    Hear, hear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you don't stop doing what you're doing - I go to C4P and T4P and they're my daily source of Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The world is full of tribulations but take courage; I have overcome the world."

    Sometimes all a man can do is stand firm; I will pray for your physical and spiritual healing...as Coach Valvano said: "Dont' give up; don't ever, ever give up!"

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please Josh, don't get discouraged. We heart you and all the work you have done! We must get rid of this Administration for MY generation and my little cousins. Please, don't despair!

    I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do a fantastic job. Thanks for supporting Gov. Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...And you affect lives far, far away, in places you may not know. Thats enough to keep doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete