Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Computer Issues (Updated)

Your patience is appreciated. Your donation would be even more appreciated.
*
A little over 24 hours ago, my computer rolled over and died. It is in the shop, and they say the tech won't even have it on his workbench to look at it for 3 to 4 working days. It's a 5 to 6 year old laptop, so even if it can be repaired, it will still be woefully inadequate. 1 GB of memory in a laptop was pretty awesome back in 2005, but lately I've been having to shut down and restart Firefox numerous times every day as intense browser use maxed out all the computer's available memory.

I spent all day yesterday trying to find a suitable replacement. I took the money I had put aside for the car payment ($345) and went shopping. Wal Mart has a laptop shown in their flyer with twice as much memory as my aging and ailing Dell, and the good news is that the sale price is only $279. The bad news is that neither of the two Wally World stores in my area have it in stock. The same story gets repeated everywhere I go. You can't buy much computer for less than $300. I've also looked at some used laptops, and the pawn shops want as much or more money for them than I can buy a new one for. It must be a seller's market, because they won't bargain with me enough to even offer a halfway reasonable price.

So, I'm now trying to rent a computer for a month ($119). If that works out, hopefully I'll get mine back from the shop before a month has passed. I had hoped the old machine would last at least until March of next year, because that's when I'll get my final payment from my retirement annuity. I had planned on getting a new computer then.

So please be patient. We will be back blogging at our usual pace as soon as the good Lord allows us to. If you like what Texas for Sarah Palin and The Book of Sarah have to offer, please make a donation. There's a PayPal button in the sidebar in the upper right-hand part of the screen. I realize that you've been hit up for cash by candidates since campaigning for the midterms began. There have been no small numbers of other worthy causes that have needed your contributions also, from SarahPAC to the earthquake victims in Haiti. On top of that, Christmas is coming. So we understand that you're probably strapped for cash right now. But those who can afford it, especially those who have not donated previously, are the ones whose help we are asking for. Contributions, large or small will be greatly appreciated. Even a $5 donation will help. As the old nursery rhyme and Christmas Carol goes:
"Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you!"
I'll check back in when I (hopefully) have some progress to report on the computer issue.

My best to you and yours,

- JP

Updates...

1. Got the rental computer hooked up. Setting up bookmarks, etc. now.
2. Catching up on Palin news & quotes. Should be back up to speed Thursday.
3. And we're back to our normal "routine"of blogging our rear ends off...
4. We want to thank those who were kind and generous enough to donate to TX4P. Thanks to you and the grace of God, we can pay for the rental computer, plus we now have over half of what we need to acquire a replacement machine after we return the rental. You guys are the best!

3 comments:

  1. Go HSN,com instead of renting they have great computer deals and on most you can pay off in 5 monthly payment...they are some of the same ones youare looking at..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    You do awesome work here, and don't worry if you need to take time away from here, to deal with your computer. Will be looking forward to future postings. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done :) What Hefmeir said....Hope you get back up and running soon

    ReplyDelete