Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Liz Cheney: Palin will surprise a lot of people

Asked on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" Monday if she agrees with Peggy Noonan that Sarah Palin hurts the GOP or with Pat Buchanan that Palin could help to heal the party, Liz Cheney rejected Noonan's notion:
"I ... have a lot of respect for Peggy Noonan but I think she's been living in Manhattan for too long. So, I'd have to say on this one I'm with Pat. I think that, you know, Governor Palin is somebody who's going to surprise a lot of people. I think that she's going to be very interesting to watch in the coming months and years and somebody who really inspires the base of the Republican Party. And, you know, she's been saying she's going to be out there talking about limited government and low taxes and strong national defense and I think those are things that are going to have broad appeal even beyond the base of the party..."
Then Cheney was asked if Palin is ready to be president in 2012:
"I think we'll see. You know, I think that over the next three years here we're going to have all the candidates for president on both sides ... have to sort of prove themselves and have to show that they've got the ideas and the substance to really lead the party."

"I think that, as a woman, I'd really like to see this discussion be about things like what is Governor Palin's view of missile defense and what is Governor Palin's view about health care? And, you know, not so much about hairstyles and hip-waders, frankly. And I think she deserves better than that."
Allah recalls that the NY Times, in what was mostly a hit piece on Palin, did mention Sunday that Fred Malek had gotten the governor and the Cheney family together:
In January, Fred V. Malek, a longtime Republican kingmaker, held a dinner to introduce Ms. Palin to some of the party’s biggest names, prompted partly by what he saw as shabby treatment by the McCain campaign. Mr. Malek said she charmed former Vice President Dick Cheney at the dinner and bonded with Mr. Cheney’s daughter Liz over both raising five children.
Liz Cheney is just the kind of well-connected friend that Sarah Palin needs more of as she prepares to win over the GOP establishment, one insider at a time.

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment