Monday, December 7, 2009

Surprise! A positive NY Times review for 'Going Rogue' (Updated)

Granted it's on the Times' "Opinionator" blog,not in the print edition, but it's so rare to see anyone associated with The Times that comes to praise Sarah Palin, not bury her. The reviewer is Stanley Fish, an academic and the author of no less than eleven books of his own. Here are a few snippets from his review:
The questions to ask then are (1) Does Palin succeed in conveying to her readers the kind of person she is? and (2) Does she do it in a satisfying and artful way? In short, is the book a good autobiographical read? I would answer “yes” to both.

[...]

Do I believe any of this? It doesn’t matter. What matters is that she does, and that her readers feel they are hearing an authentic voice. I find the voice undeniably authentic (yes, I know the book was written “with the help” of Lynn Vincent, but many books, including my most recent one, are put together by an editor).

[...]

The message is clear. America can’t be stopped. I can’t be stopped. I’ve stumbled and fallen, but I always get up and run again. Her political opponents, especially those who dismissed Ronald Reagan before he was elected, should take note. Wherever you are, you better watch out. Sarah Palin is coming to town.
Read Professor Fish's full review of Going Rogue here.

Update: At NewsBusters.org, Lachlan Markay observes that the NY Times readership -- "such a tolerant and open-minded bunch they are" -- are none too pleased with the good professor's review.

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment