Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best Palin Tribute Videos of 2009

- by Lisa Graas
*
Happy New Year's Eve! Let's have a bit of fun and recap some Palin tribute videos from the previous year!

I admit that I'm not a huge fan of tribute videos even when they are in honor of my favorite politician, Sarah Palin, but these are a means for some to express their feelings of admiration, whether in creating them or viewing them. I "get it", and I rather enjoy some of the Palin Tribute videos that came out in 2009, both as a musician and as a Palin admirer. I've included some of my favorites below.....but first, let's examine a very intriguing one.

'Sarah Palin's Political Odyssey', a photo slideshow set to serious music (Everyday by Carly Comando) offered at YouTube by wnwhite, really made me think. Many of you may not realize that I am a celibate person. Yes, it's true that I'm a mommy of four, but since my divorce I have become far closer to God and I've completely embraced the celibate life. (I'm also a Passionist Oblate Associate.) When I say that I have embraced celibacy, I mean that I love being celibate. Celibacy is a positive, nurturing thing for me in my walk with God and I really and truly do not think in sexual/physical terms at all. I see the Song of Songs far differently than the vast majority of people, for instance. It is, for me, a song of the relationship of God with my soul. I have no earthly spouse, nor do I have the slightest desire for one because all my needs are fulfilled by God. Because of this, it is natural for me to see others just as I would see a brother, a sister, my parents or my children. It's for this reason that I don't understand the sexualization of famous people, particularly politicians like Barack Obama and Sarah Palin who are both very good-looking people, truth be told. It confuses me immeasurably to see the fascination with sexuality in our culture.

I think the first video below highlights Sarah Palin's "sex appeal" too much........but since it is set to serious music, it makes one wonder what the intent is here. Personally, it made me uncomfortable because it seems to be saying, even without using words, that the fact that Sarah Palin is a beautiful woman is something that should concern us. My support for Sarah Palin has nothing whatsoever to do with her appearance, so this video, to be blunt, just confused the hell out of me. I don't know the purpose of it. Perhaps I don't want to know. Is it a positive video, or a negative one? I have no idea. You decide.



Now, let's have some fun. For country music lovers, Stand, by piper4444205



Ready for Conservatism? Palin in 2012 -- a brief but very nice video in the form of a political ad from sepersr



Is it because she's 'just a girl'? This one pokes fun at the media, from purpleporter



Next, a tribute in commentary, from both friend and foe, courtesy of sarahpalinrockon.



I'm not a country music lover, but this song I like -- Days Go By, by 2k5hockey



Remember when Going Rogue became available for pre-order and there was an onslaught of orders? This video, uploaded at YouTube on October 1 by MisPlacedLoyalties was a DELIGHT to me that week........and I still love it.



YouTube user D0VVNT0VVN writes, "I'm only in my twenties but I think I now have an idea what it was like when Reagan first came on to the national stage. I made this video in tribute to Sarah." I'm sharing  D0VVNT0VVN's tribute with you primarily because of the music as it includes the song that was played when she was introduced in Dayton, August, 2008. I think the song has "Sarah Palin" written all over it. I don't know the title, though, and ask for readers to enlighten me.



Finally, my favorite Sarah Palin tribute video of the year -- America, by ifyoucanbenice, but it's important that I explain why. Admittedly, when I first saw this video, it repelled me. Now I count it as the best. Don't get me wrong. I never believed that there was anything inherently wrong with this video. I was disturbed through my own grievous fault. It was my resentment for the way we Catholics are criticized by our protestant brethren for our deep love for the saints that caused me to be repelled.

Catholics understand that God calls ordinary people to do very extraordinary things. We love the saints not for their own sakes, but for their selfless response to the grace that God has poured out to them to become the people He created them to be. We have images of these saints to remind us of this greatness. This video, with its powerful imagery, was sent to me by a protestant who, quite likely, would be critical of the use of such imagery if the subject were a Catholic saint. That is why I was repelled by it initially. Now, I understand that my resentment was not a holy thing.

If you have read Going Rogue, you know that Sarah Palin has been inspired to become the person that God has called her to be, and her story has, in turn, inspired many others to understand that in their own lives. The reason we love Sarah Palin is not for Sarah Palin's sake. Yes, the snow machines are cool and the moose chili is a novelty to us and the high heels are fun........but these things are not what drive our support. We love Sarah Palin for responding to what God has called her to be even when, as with her resignations from the Oil and Gas Commission and from the Governor's Office, it very well might have destroyed her politically. Despite unprecedented criticism, legal complaints and even the burning of her church, Sarah Palin treads onward. There's much more to it than her willingness to do the right thing, though. If it were only that, she would best serve as a motivational speaker or a spiritual minister. No, it is also her love for America.

America is hurting right now. America calls to each one of us passionately, therefore we long for a leader who loves America passionately. Those of us who love Sarah Palin love her primarily because we know she also hears America calling.........loud and clear. We are further emboldened by our confidence that she will answer this call to the very best of her ability. To those of us who know her actual record in Alaska rather than the ugly distortions of her record, her abilities far outshine those of others who profess interest in answering this call of America.

In my view, this video is the best expression of that understanding which those of us who have come to admire Sarah Palin all share.



It's been an interesting year. In 2010, we have the mid-term elections which will be a crucible of preparation for us as we begin our launch into 2012. Let's make the most of it. Let's all commit to remembering that God really is in charge no matter how much others may try to work against Him. He's on everyone's side. Remember that He loves both Barack Obama and Sarah Palin. He loves you and He loves America. Let's pray that all of our leaders will turn to Him for guidance and be the people God has called them to be -- servants to Him, to each other and to America.

I recommend that you check out the YouTube accounts of mikesgirl93 and AdoringPalin for more great videos about Sarah Palin.

- Lisa

Lisa Graas is editor of the Palin Twibe Blog and several other websites. She is a regular contributor to Texas for Sarah Palin.

No comments:

Post a Comment