Thursday, August 4, 2011

'The Undefeated': New Fire for the Dis-Couraged

"I’m no longer comfortable sitting back and letting others do battle for me. "
*
Here are some excerpts from an excellent blog post by an early Palin supporter who, for a number of reasons including the governor's 2009 decision to resign, allowed that early enthusiasm to wane. We pick up her story at the Smart Girl summit in St. Louis, where a remark by Andrew Breitbart persuaded her to go to the screening at that event last weekend of "The Undefeated."
The least I could do was sit and watch the film.

And so I did. And as I did, I found myself overcome with a very unexpected emotion: shame. As I relived her story, the relatively humble beginnings, the young mother who decided to get involved and then rose and met each challenge that came her way, the can-doer who won office repeatedly with odds stacked heavily against her, the fearless fighter who took on corruption, the wildly popular and successful Governor, the exhilarating and scrappy Vice Presidential candidate, I was reminded of all the reasons I’d admired her. And as I watched the absolute hatred and viciousness directed at her from all sides, the zeal with which many sought to take her down – yes, like the zebra set upon by the lions – I could not escape the realization that it was I who had let her down. Not personally. I am but one lowly fiscal conservative/social moderate/with libertarian leanings, far removed from her world, far from influential in any meaningful way. But I stopped standing up for her. And for the principles and values she’s fought so very hard for. I became complacent and allowed others to badmouth her and besmirch her character without so much as the slightest challenge, without any effort to persuade them to stop, take a step back, and consider any of it.

There may be many eunuchs in the GOP who’ve abandoned her to cover their own political backsides. But what does that make me? In many respects, Sarah Palin is me: She’s close to me in age, a PTA Mom, a Christian, a runner, a professional, a true believer in America and the principles upon which it was founded. The difference is, she’s a fighter. And I have been…a coward. Rather than following her lead and boldly exhibiting the courage of my convictions, I allowed myself to become discouraged – DIS-couraged. I’ve rationalized this by noting that in my line of work, and considering some of the career aspirations I possess, sticking my neck out and taking a clear stand could be dangerous. I have a daughter to support, a mortgage to pay, a house to try and keep from falling down. I can’t afford to take risks like that. I need that security. But at what cost?

I alluded to this in my second SGS11 recap blog – the recurring theme about each one of us having not only the ability but the responsibility to stand up and fight for the things we hold dear. Not for fame or glory or validation. But because it’s what’s right. I’m not certain of the movie’s run-time, but I do know that for much of it, I found myself fighting back tears. Because I am ashamed – I’m ashamed of my fellow human beings who’ve made it their life’s work to tear down and destroy those who dare fight for and take pride in our great nation. I’m ashamed of my fellow conservatives who’ve abandoned one of the greatest champions for the conservative cause because it was politically expedient to do so. And I’m ashamed of myself – for not fighting like a girl. For not fighting at all.

I haven’t yet figured out what this revelation will or should translate into in my life. I only know that I’m no longer comfortable sitting back and letting others do battle for me. So, to those who question whether “Undefeated” is worth a watch, my answer is, “Yes. Unless you lack the courage.”

[More]
It's a long post, but more than worth the read. Does this story remind you of someone you know? If so, you need to get that person to a theater to see "The Undefeated."

h/t: Tami

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment