Friday, February 26, 2010

Jedediah Bila: Sarah Palin is not a fake


Political commentator Jedediah Bila, in an op-ed published Friday by The Daily Caller, answers a question she says her readers have written her to ask about Sarah Palin -- "Do you think she’s just like the rest of them?" Her answer is no:
"In my gut, I don’t think Sarah Palin is 'just like the rest of them.' I can’t predict the future and I don’t know her personally. But I’ve listened to her speeches and her commentary. I’ve researched her record. And I’ve read her book. I spent hours interviewing many of her fans who were lined up outside her Rochester book signing. I hoped to get a sense of the Sarah Palin they believed made a night of sleeping in portable tents on concrete worthwhile. I also had the chance to speak with Palin briefly and tell her why I was there. I saw the gratitude in her eyes for what I had done. I could tell right away that those people who slept outside were valuable to her. Not because they could likely add up to future votes or hefty PAC donations, but because they believe in her. I have no doubt that she believes in them." 

"I grew up in New York City. I’ve spent most of my adult days in Manhattan, including graduate school in my early 20s at Columbia University. It’s a great place to discover yourself, but let’s just say I’m no stranger to fancy discourse, intellectual doublespeak, overpriced anything and everything, and people trying to talk you into this or that on an hourly basis. I don’t quite have the naiveté that I often admire so much in others. What I have instead is a profound appreciation for what’s real. My gut and my research tell me Palin’s not a fake."
Jedediah Bila's full commentary is here.

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment