Saturday, November 14, 2009

Track to Sarah: You only leave if you move up to something more worthy

From Diyala Province, Iraq, where he was stationed with the "Arctic Wolves" (1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division), Army Pfc. Track Palin tried to talk his mother at home in Alaska out of resigning as that state's governor. That's among some more details from Sarah Palin's memoir Going Rogue revealed by ABC News' Kate Snow:
"Are you going to let those idiots run you off?" Track Palin asked, according to the book. "You can't tap out!"

[...]

Palin describes how she arrived at her subsequent decision, also controversial, to give up the Alaska governorship despite her son's advice, which was: "Don't let the jerks get you down!"

"His view was that you don't quit. You don't violate your contract. There is pain, you push through it, you stick it out," she writes. "Then he brought it home: 'No dishonorable discharge. You only leave if it's honorable -- that means you move up to something more worthy.'

"Then it was my turn," she adds. "I asked him if he thought protecting Trig and his sisters was 'more worthy.' I asked if fighting through the bull so that I could reveal truth and fight for what is right for our state and our country was 'more worthy.' I asked if breaking free of the bureaucratic shackles that were now paralyzing our state was 'worthy.'

"I finally said out loud what I knew I had to do," she writes. "'I'm not a quitter, Track,' I finished. 'I'm going to fight. And that's the point.'"
We like the way Sarah Palin ends her book with a call to arms. Her last three sentences:
"Stand now. Stand together. Stand for what is right."
Those are not the words we would have chosen, but Sarah Palin has a lot more class than we do. And her words are much more inspirational than the line we would have borrowed from the Firesign Theater, "Eat flaming death, fascist media pigs!"

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment