Wednesday, November 25, 2009

KTUU interview with Sarah Palin, Part 2

Anchorage television station KTUU, where Sarah Palin got her start as a sportscaster, recently interviewed the former Alaska governor while on board the Going Rogue tour bus as it rolled across Indiana. We linked to Part 1 of the interview here.

Here's two excerpts from Part 2:
Channel 2 News: Just watching the crowds here today, cheering "Sarah 2012, president." Now you say it's not on your radar, but it's clearly on the radar of a lot of people. When people say ‘Sarah, you're going to be our next president', what do you say?

Sarah Palin: You know, I don't think that they're necessarily looking at me as an individual, just as that hockey mom from Alaska; they're looking for a voice, though. They are looking for someone who has the energy and the backbone to stand up for the everyday, hard-working American who just wants government back on their side.

They want common-sense conservative solutions to health care challenges, and to the growing deficit and debt in our nation. They want a very strong military, strong national defense. And I think some of them are looking at me right now as kind of a representation of that. But I know that I don't have to have that title or any title in order to make that difference and to support others who perhaps will be in office at that point to make that difference."

[...]

Channel 2 News: Getting back to you and the presidential race, it's still too early to call, but I've heard your opponents say, ‘If she runs, if she's the head of the GOP ticket, that's an automatic win for the Democrats. She's like Barry Goldwater in '64, an ultra-conservative candidate that can't win'. What would you say to that?

Sarah Palin: You know it's funny that I would be characterized as this ultra-conservative candidate. I think it's a very common-sense conservative agenda that I have. And it's quite simple too. And that's what drives people crazy is I'm going to talk simply about it.

And a lot of politicians want to convolute things, and politicize things and make things more complicated for the voter than they need to be, and there's an agenda behind that. But, it's a common-sense conservative agenda that I have. It's just believing more in the inherent power and intelligence and value of the individual, in the small business, and a family, than in government. And if that's an ultra-extreme conservative agenda, then so be it. To me it's just common sense.
Video and transcript of Part 2 are here.

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment