Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sarah Palin: My life with a Down's syndrome child

Excerpted from her memoir Going Rogue, The Sunday Times presents Sarah Palin's compelling story of life with Baby Trig in an abbreviated op-ed format. We picked up the story when the governor was in New Orleans to speak at an oil and gas conference:
I asked my security guy to drop me off at a pharmacy. Back at the hotel, before my speech, I followed the instructions on the pregnancy test box. Slowly a pink image materialised on the stick. Holy geez!

Todd and I had always dreamt of a big family, and he, especially, dreamt of having another boy — bookends for his three daughters.

I quickly prayed about this surreal situation. First, that I’d even be able to fathom it. I was happy but I could hear the critics:

“She’ll be distracted from state business.”

“She won’t be physically up to the job.”

“That’s what we get for electing the first woman governor.”

I sighed and stared at the ceiling. These are really less-than-ideal circumstances. And for a split second it hit me: I’m out of town. No one knows I’m pregnant. No one would ever have to know.

It was a fleeting thought, a sudden understanding of why many women feel pressured to make the “problem” go away. Sad, I thought, that our society has elevated things like education and career above the gift of bringing new life into the world. Yes, the timing of this pregnancy wasn’t ideal. But that wasn’t the baby’s fault...
Follow the link for the rest of Sarah Palin's Times article.

- JP

1 comment:

  1. bookends for his three daughters

    What a original, lovable stylist she is!

    ReplyDelete