Sunday, November 15, 2009

Moderate Republican says Sarah Palin is great for the GOP

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who takes a liberal stance on social issues and a more conservative position on fiscal matters, considers Sarah Palin to be an asset to the GOP:
“I think Sarah Palin is great for the Republican Party,” former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said in an interview that aired on CNN’s State of the Union.

[...]

“Given the decisions that the Obama administration is making, particularly on this area of terrorism which concerns me probably more than any other, we’re going to need some pretty strong alternatives in 2012. I don’t know if it’ll be Sarah Palin or someone else."
Giuliani said Palin generates a lot of enthusiasm for the Republican Party, and at this point in time, what he likes are "figures who are creating interest" in the GOP.

Also appearing on ABC's "This Week" Sunday talk program, Giuliani, who became known as "America's Mayor" in the aftermath of 9/11, told host George Stephanopoulos:
"She is an exciting figure in the Republican Party. She's someone who draws an enormous amount of attention. I saw her for myself, George, this summer when I took her to Yankee Stadium in Democrat territory -- you know, 7 to 1 democrats in the Bronx, probably. She got a great reception. There's something extra special that Sarah Palin has in terms of reaching out to people, and my party needs that kind of excitement."
YouTube video of Hizzoner's two Sunday television appearances are here at The Sarah Palin Blog.

- JP 

3 comments:

  1. Of course, Rudy is a pragmatic, results oriented individual... and an American hero.

    And the guy knows a winner when he sees one.

    I disagree with some Rudy's previous positions, but how much chance does a GOPer have in NYC with a conservative social platform, anyway?

    He replaced Dinkins, an unmitigated disaster as Mayor... and Rudy won over more than a couple NYers to a more Republican viewpoint over his terms in office, to be sure- not an insignificant task.

    And the guy knows a winner when he sees one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all seriousness, and I am an hard core Cliintonian Democrat who just might vote Republican for the right candidate (I'll tell ya this, I am beginning to think that i should have voted for McCain last time and I bet Hillary is saying the same thing right now), Sarah has one weapon that people don't seem to be getting- she's quite likeable. She seems nice!

    When she said that Levi Johnston (total garbage if you ask me) was welcome for Thanksgiving at her house, she meant it. I am deeply touched by her decision to bring her special needs child to term. She seems optimistic, intelligent (yup, if people think she is not they have a big surprise coming, and most important (watch out MASSACHUSETTS governor Mitt Romney), HONEST and consistent in her stand.

    Although I support much of Obamacare (but I am not sure about the public option, it seems to be misconceived right now, and the process of ramming it through is half-assed), I "get" the teaparty people concern about moving toward Marxism. Although I believe that gay people should be able to marry, I accept that if you oppose this, you are not automatically stupid or a bigot.

    I do not think people that oppose President Obama are automatically racist, and yes, this administration seems amateurish at times. So my guess is I am the swing voter who you need to win in 2010 and 2012 But i am still uncomfortable with you guys a a group.

    But here is my question to you red-blood Republicans who see victory around the corner.

    How inclusive are you willing to be to attract people like myself-- intelligent Democrats- who have adopted Ronald Reagan as one of our own (the guy ended the cold war through his optimism), and who are scared for America right now. We see our country going down-hill.

    What about Rudy, I would vote for him in a second but know he can't get your nomination. Is he really welcome in the Republican party? To someone like me, there seem to be a lot of right-wing nutcases and frankly, people (NOT SARAH) who seem downright nasty - celebrating Chicagos loss of the the Olympics was scummy. You get what I am saying. I am not saying that the Dems are any better, and the Dems certainly went after Bush, but what I hear in my ears is pure negative hate on your side for the most part, with the lack of any genuine ideas on your own.

    Sarah is the optimism you may need.

    You come up with a Republican party in the tradition of Ronald Reagan or John McCain and you will get my vote. I think Sarah is in this group. Have Rush Limbaugh be your party spokesman and I am OUT. And believe me, I have swing voter written all over this Palm Beach County mug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, thanks for coming by and taking the time to post a thoughtful comment.

    I'm a former Democrat who voted for Bill Clinton (the first time, anyway.) I've evolved into a modern federalist conservative in the Ronald Reagan tradition. By modern federalist, I mean that although I personally oppose gay marriage, for example, I'm in favor of letting local voters decide the matter.

    Small-government conservatives believe that government which is closer to the people is more responsive to them, at least more so than is the federal government. Local government is where those social issues which aren't specifically addressed by the U.S. Constitution should be decided.

    I view the Republican Party not as a big tent, but as a big bus, because a tent doesn't go anywhere until it's folded up and loaded onto trucks. I think that there's room for everyone in the bus who wants to get on board. My problem, though, is that the so-called "moderates" have been driving the bus for over two decades now, and where thay have been going with it is worse than nowhere. It's time for a Reagan conservative to have a turn at driving the bus, but the "moderates" will mot give up the drivers seat, and their hands will have to be pried off of the wheel.

    Sarah Palin has Reagan's optimism, and of course that's just one of the many reasons why we support her.

    - JP

    ReplyDelete