Sunday, November 8, 2009

Haley Barbour comments on Sarah Palin: "I like her... I think she's got something to offer"

Haley Barbour was a guest on Sunday's "Meet The Press" on NBC, where the following exchange between the Mississippi Governor and host David Shuster took place:

Shuster: Sarah Palin got involved in that [NY-23] race. She endorsed the independent conservative. What role does she play right now in the Republican Party?

Barbour: Well she doesn't play any official role in the Republican Party, but a lot of people care about her, a lot of people are fond of her, and she's like a lot of other politicians who are very well regarded in our party.

Shuster: What do you think of her?

Barbour: I like her. I don't allways agree with her, but you know, my wife doesn't always agree with me either.

Shuster: But is she an important Republican leader in your book?

Barbour: I think she is. I think she's got something to offer. One of the great things about when a party's out of power is that you don't have 'a' spokesman. You have a lot of... I don't wanr to say that you have a thousand flowers bloom... but you have a lot of different people, and that's healthy for your party. The Democrats do that when they're out.

Shuster: But do you think she speaks for the party?

Barbour: I think she speaks for herself, just like I speak for myself.

Shuster: Do you think she could be president?

Barbour: Look, it's a long way away from there. Every time people ask me about president, I remind them, David, that any Republican that cares about the future of our country needs to be focused on the elections of 2010. Those are the elctions that matter. We'll worry about president after 2010.

Shuster: What about you? Would you like to run for president in 2012?

Barbour: I would like for us to win in 2010...

Shuster: ... and then you'll consider it.

Barbour: I don't have any plans to, but I wouldn't consider it until the elections of 2010 are over.

h/t: Freedom's Lighthouse

- JP

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't Barbour get asked about Pawlenty, Mitt, or Huck? Everyone is always asked about Sarah Palin, the media is always fishing for something negative. Barbour handled it just right, 2010 is the focus at this time, and who runs for the nomination will shake itself out in early to mid 2011.

    For someone the media keeps trying to tell is is unimportant, unelectable, and insignificant, there sure is a lot of air time, and column inches talking and writing about her.

    If book sales is any indication of who people are interested in, Sarah Palin wins hands down, no question. I believe that all the talking heads, and scribblers will be shocked when the first day and first week sales figures are released. They will also be shocked at the number of people flocking to her book signings with most of the people knowing that they have no chance of getting a book signed, they just want to be where the actionis, and to try and catch a glimpse of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding. I always crack up laughing whenever the talking heads on the Sunday shows say in one breath, "Palin is too polarizing, too inexperienced, too [insert whatever excuse of the day is] to be President. So, do you think she's running for President in 2012?"

    ReplyDelete