Saturday, April 11, 2009

Palin: 'I do not have litmus tests' for judges

The Anchorage Daily News sent Gov. Palin a list of questions about the process of selecting judges, and the governor answered them in writing. Here is an excerpt:
ADN: Did you anticipate your selection of Morgan Christen being controversial?

Palin: Virtually every leadership decision I make is viewed as controversial by somebody. It is no different when selecting a nominee to appoint to a judicial position.

Some in a group called the Alaska Family Council were off-base with a knee jerk reaction to my decision; I believe they learned some things through this process. We had a lot of positive comments submitted for both candidates; individual personal experiences with these candidates were shared (and those who commented signed their names, I’ll add). I respect Alaskans’ voices on these appointments, and I welcome their input. Ultimately, while my views may not run parallel with any judge I’ve selected, I am confident that I selected a justice who will be an asset to the bench and to Alaskans.

ADN: What were your main considerations in making the appointment?

Palin: As mentioned above, I look for the nominee that is able to approach every case with an open mind and the best knowledge, skills, and ability to analyze the legal issues and apply the law to the facts of the case. It was my opinion that Judge Christen was the most qualified nominee. At the same time, I respect Judge Smith.

ADN: Did you ask about Planned Parenthood or abortion?

Palin: I do not have litmus tests or litmus questions for judicial appointments. Of her own volition, Judge Christen was open about her time on the Planned Parenthood board and offered her perspective. Judge Christen has always been a strong advocate for adoption, and she joined the organization to promote the issue statewide. During her time on the Planned Parenthood Board, it was the only one in the nation that did not perform abortions. Additionally, while she was on the board, she successfully championed the inclusion of the Crisis Pregnancy Center under the United Way donation umbrella. Letters we received supported this. The reaction of the Alaska Family Council was a bit of a surprise to me, but they must not have had the benefit of all the information about Judge Christen as I did.
- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment