Friday, April 17, 2009

CNN: Palin draws sellout crowd in Indiana

From CNN's Political Ticker blog:
In her first speech outside Alaska this year, Republican Gov. Sarah Palin praised her state, criticized the president's economic recovery plan and talked at length about her anti-abortion views.

But she didn't touch on what a lot of people wanted to know: Will she run for president in 2012?

Palin's appearance before the sold-out Vanderburgh County Right to Life dinner in Evansville, Indiana, brought in nationwide media and forced organizers to open up an overflow area for attendees.
Speaking of the Democrats in the Alaska legislature, the governor quipped:
"They condemn anything that I do, but especially traveling outside the state to speak in another state at a function like this. Which is ironic, because these are the same critics who would love to see me outside the state forever, permanently, you know, outside the governor's office anyway."
In a far-ranging speech, Gov. Palin had harsh words for the Obama economic stimulus package:
"This isn't free money folks. Our nation is $11 trillion in debt. This is borrowed money. We're borrowing money from China, and we may someday find ourselves enslaved to countries that hold our notes."
But the lion's share of her speech was devoted to the pro-life cause, and Palin became emotional when she talked about her son Trig and the apprehension she felt before his birth, knowing that he had Down's Syndrome:
"I had to call upon my faith and ask that my heart be filled up and I will tell you, the moment he was born, I knew for sure that my prayer was answered and my heart overflowed with joy."
Gov. Palin's other scheduled event in Evansville is a breakfast this morning with members of S.M.I.L.E., an organization which supports relatives of those with Down's.

- JP

No comments:

Post a Comment