Friday, September 3, 2010

Stacy McCain: How to Write an Anti-Palin Hit Piece

*
It's too easy:
I thought I might share another point about those “impotent, limp and gutless” reporters: It’s not really hard to do what they do. A pro-Palin friend e-mailed me:
The root of the VF-style hit pieces can be found with a handful of Alaska characters. A journalist on assignment to write a hit piece will ring up Shannyn Moore, and she’ll put this person in touch with a slate of people who have an obvious axe to grind . . . or just a tenuous connection to Sarah Palin. We can always tell who the “anonymous” sources are.
Exactly: “The Real, Hidden Scary TRUTH About Sarah Palin” is a color-by-numbers exercise that has been done to death by now.

[...]

Some people in the journalism racket really need to re-consider their career strategies. Being a dime-a-dozen cliché-peddler just isn’t very smart in the long term.
- JP

1 comment:

  1. I am getting so tired of this insanity, this chilling hatred for Sarah that is so blatantly sexist, elitist, classist, and every other sort of "-ist" that our progressive confreres profess to despise in everyone *else's* case.

    I was having some drinks and an appetizer at a swank spot here in Carmel last week, with a lady friend who is liberal, and politics "came up" and I expressed my admiration for Sarah in a reasonable way, and was met with a harangue. It was as if I had mentioned something utterly lewd. I offered what I thought was the best response: "Okay, I get that you don't like Palin, but which of her actual political achievements as Governor and which part of her basic philosophy do you dislike?"

    [Crickets chirping].

    She could not answer that! Totally tongue-tied, when the question became reasonable and specific. And I was not out to "gotcha" this friend ... after listening to the insulting hissy-fit, I tried to be the bigger person, and frankly, I wanted to know.

    "Which specific Sarah Palin political move has made you so angry?"

    Again, there was no reply. Just a lot of bile about her being "trash" and "stupid". I have to say, I was discouraged by this sort of warped perspective. I think highly of Sarah, obviously, but even if she were not to my taste, politically, I can say objectively that I would recognize that this is an accomplished, decent, upstanding woman/business-owner/mother, etc.

    I couldn't win that night, because my friend was unreasonable and even the bartender (a "lady" who looked very much like Chastity Bono--no, I am not kidding) heard us talking about Sarah and interjected with the most unprintable comment I have ever heard.

    As I said, this took place in a rather exclusive establishment in one of the cheeriest little towns in California. I thought seriously about speaking with the manager, e.g. "I am not paying good money to have your employees eavesdrop on a conversation and then make disgusting, unsolicited, and wholly offensive remarks."

    I was very discouraged by this, not because I feel Sarah was somehow made smaller by the vile words of small people, but because this sort of hatred is shocking, it's ruinous, and our nation has come to the brink when this brand of tastelessness goes uncorrected and is proffered without a hint of shame. If Hillary Clinton was treated in this manner, the entire mainstream media would be up in arms, condemning the "sick" attitudes.

    Very discouraging.

    ReplyDelete