Thursday, May 28, 2009

Berkowitz and Ellis want to unseat Gov. Palin

Two Democrats are seriously considering challenges to Gov. Sarah Palin, should she decide to run for a second term in 2010. Ethan Berkowitz, who ran unsuccessful campaigns for the U.S. House in 2008 and for lieutenant governor in 2006, told CQ Politics:
"My sights are now on the governor's race."
ADN's intrepid reporter Sean Cockerham wasted no time in giving a possible Democrat primary foe an opportunity to steal some of Berkowitz's thunder. He called State Sen. Hollis French, who masterminded an October surprise against Gov. Palin when she was campaigning for vice president on the GOP ticket with John McCain. French said:
"I love public service and I've been encouraged to run by many people I respect." French said. "I'm seriously considering it."
Don't you just love how ADN, even when it comes to Democrats, always plays its favorites?

Should both men decide to officially announce for governor, they will be in a primary race with Bob Poe. There may be other challengers on the Democrat side, but it's still early in this game. As Berkowitz remarked today:
"It's summertime here. "People don't want to hear about all this yet. They want to go fishing."
Most political pundits are saying that Gov. Palin's job is safe for 2010.

3 comments:

  1. I tend to agree that Palin is likely to win right now. If she wants to run for re-election. The last poll by hayes had her at 54%. That poll tends to overpoll Democrats. so I think she is closer to 59%. I think she can get back into the low to mid 60's again as her very negative only went from 21% to 24% in that same poll. Rule of thumb is that incumbents are safe at 50% or better and likely to win over 47% favorables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in last night's interview on Mike somebody-or-other's Fairbanks radio show, the good governor used the phrase "in my first term." First time I've heard her say that, which I believe is proof that at this time, anyway, she's planning to run for a second term.

    BTW, check out that call-in interview show. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that in that interview also. I still don't think she has decided what she is going to do.

    ReplyDelete